Shanghai Airport Escape: Luxurious GreenTree Inn Hongqiao Deal!

GreenTree Inn Shanghai Hongqiao Airport Huqingping Highway Shell Hotel Shanghai China

GreenTree Inn Shanghai Hongqiao Airport Huqingping Highway Shell Hotel Shanghai China

Shanghai Airport Escape: Luxurious GreenTree Inn Hongqiao Deal!

Shanghai Airport Escape: My GreenTree Inn Hongqiao Adventure – A Real Review (With Seriously Honest Truths)

Okay, so you're stuck in transit in Shanghai. Ugh. The dreaded layover. But hold on! There's hope! That hope, my weary traveler, is the Shanghai Airport Escape: Luxurious GreenTree Inn Hongqiao Deal! I booked it because… well, I needed a nap, desperately. And, let's be honest, I was starting to resemble a crumpled map. So, here's the lowdown, the good, the bad, and the slightly-less-than-luxurious (but hey, it's GreenTree!) truth.

Accessibility & Getting There (and What Happened When My Luggage Decided To Take a Vacation Without Me):

First off, the accessibility. Yep, wheelchair accessible it is! And the elevator's a lifesaver when you're lugging (or not lugging, in my case – thanks, baggage handlers!) a suitcase. Airport transfer is a MUST, and thankfully, they do it, thankfully. I'm a blithering idiot when jet-lagged. Getting to the hotel was a breeze (once I'd located the designated pick-up spot). BUT… and this is a big BUT… my luggage decided to embark on its own solo adventure to, I’m guessing, Fiji. (Still crossing my fingers, actually). So, the convenience store became my best friend. Toothbrush? Check. Deodorant? Double-check. I even grabbed a small bottle of something (cough, cough, mouthwash) to sanitize my rapidly-declining mental state. They should probably add a 'Survival Kit' section! Rambling aside: They've got a car park [free of charge] for those who drive, which is a HUGE plus for local folks. Also taxi service. You're golden no matter how you roll up.

Cleanliness & Safety (Because Nobody Wants a Travel Horror Story – Unless You’re Me, Now):

Right, this is important. Let's be blunt: I’m a germaphobe. I’m that guy who carries hand sanitizer like it's his firstborn. So, cleanliness is a HUGE deal. And I have to say, I was impressed. They are SERIOUS about this. Anti-viral cleaning products are in use, they have daily disinfection in common areas, & rooms sanitized between stays. I didn't see any rogue dust bunnies plotting world domination. My room had Individually-wrapped food options, hand sanitizer at reception, and the staff was wearing masks. I'm happy to say, all the sanitation efforts made me feel safe and the hotel got a huge bonus point for all these efforts. Staff trained in safety protocol? Yes, indeed. First aid kit present? Of course. The fire extinguisher seemed happy in its corner. They clearly have a strong safety/security feature setup. I felt like Fort Knox after having a shower, which was a relief.

Dining, Drinking & Snacking (Or, My Personal Buffet-Fueled Odyssey):

This is where things get… interesting. The Asian breakfast was a decent start. Eggs, noodles, some kind of delicious, spicy something-I-couldn't-identify-but-loved. The breakfast [buffet] was your standard affair, which I'm totally okay with. It's all about managing expectations, right? There's a restaurant on-site with Asian cuisine in restaurant (plus International cuisine in restaurant), so options are plentiful. They have a coffee shop (hallelujah!), which saved my sanity more than once. They also have a poolside bar. But honestly, the view from it wasn't exactly "Miami Vice" – more like "Shanghai Industrial Park." Don't expect a beach vibe. There's a 24-hour room service, and I did end up ordering some noodles at 3 AM because… jet lag. I wouldn't call it Michelin-star quality, but it’s there for you. They do provide a bottle of water, so I guess it's covered. Also, they have a snack bar for quick bites and the Alternative meal arrangement option is a great plus.

Services & Conveniences (Or, How I Didn't Miss My Flight):

So many great ones here as well.

  • Air conditioning in public area: Yippee!
  • Cash withdrawal: Saved the day!
  • Concierge: Super helpful with directions (even when I was wandering around looking like a lost panda).
  • Contactless check-in/out: Brilliant, streamlined and COVID safe.
  • Daily housekeeping: My room always looked nice which was a relief.
  • Dry cleaning & Ironing service The hotel also has a laundry service.
  • Luggage storage: Bless them.
  • Safety deposit boxes: Good to know.
  • Car park [on-site] They also have a valet parking if you need it..
  • Meeting/banquet facilities: Good if you're on work, but seriously, who is having a banquet at an airport hotel?
  • Smoking area: It's there, if you're that way inclined.
  • Hot water linen and laundry washing: That is a super useful and safe amenity!

Things To Do (Besides Staring at the Airport Runway):

Okay, this is the slightly weaker area. It's an airport hotel. However, there IS a gym/fitness area (which I, predictably, didn't use. My gym is the airport terminal). They have a spa/sauna, plus a steamroom if you're feeling fancy. But let me be honest, after a 14-hour flight, all I wanted was the massage. And the massage was… okay. It was a massage. It wasn’t life-changing, but it eased some of those airplane-induced knots. They have a swimming pool. I didn't take a dip because, well, I was too busy contemplating the mysteries of delayed luggage. The Pool with view wasn't something great, so I can't say anything good about it.


The Rooms (The Real Nitty-Gritty):

My room? Clean. Basic. Functional. The air conditioning worked. The blackout curtains were a lifesaver. There was a desk I didn't use. A coffee/tea maker I utilized fully. The free Wi-Fi worked without a hitch (thank god!). The bed was comfy enough for a solid five hours of sleep. They give you some free toiletries. I also enjoyed the bathrobes. The extra long bed was indeed extra long. The TV offered a surprising array of channels, and I got my fill of terrible Chinese soaps. Also, the wake-up service worked perfectly.

  • Internet access – LAN is available. That is good.
  • Air conditioning: Absolutely necessary.
  • Alarm clock: Useful, especially when facing the jet lag monster.
  • Bathrobes: Comfy, at least compared to my airline-provided blanket.
  • Bathroom phone: Don't know why, but it's there.
  • Bathtub: Didn't use. Showered.
  • Blackout curtains: Wonderful.
  • Closet: Good to have.
  • Coffee/tea maker: Mandatory for me.
  • Complimentary tea: Yes, please!
  • Daily housekeeping: Lovely.
  • Desk: Didn't use.
  • Extra long bed: Important for taller travelers.
  • Free bottled water: Always welcome.
  • Hair dryer: Essential.
  • High floor: Probably, I didn't care.
  • In-room safe box: Useful for important documents.
  • Interconnecting room(s) available: Good for families.
  • Internet access – LAN: Useful if you're old-school.
  • Internet access – wireless: Essential!
  • Ironing facilities: Nice to have.
  • Laptop workspace: Didn't use.
  • Linens: Clean, basic.
  • Mini bar: Wasn't full.
  • Mirror: Present.
  • Non-smoking: Excellent.
  • On-demand movies: Didn't bother.
  • Private bathroom: You bet.
  • Reading light: Nice.
  • Refrigerator: Eh.
  • Safety/security feature: Important.
  • Satellite/cable channels: Enough to keep you occupied.
  • Scale: Nope.
  • Seating area: Barely.
  • Separate shower/bathtub: The shower was fine.
  • Shower: Fine.
  • Slippers: Yes!
  • Smoke detector: Necessary.
Luxury Depok Retreat: Margonda's Hidden Gem (Travelio 5-Star Studio)

Book Now

GreenTree Inn Shanghai Hongqiao Airport Huqingping Highway Shell Hotel Shanghai China

GreenTree Inn Shanghai Hongqiao Airport Huqingping Highway Shell Hotel Shanghai China

Alright, buckle up, buttercups! This ain't your grandma's perfectly-manicured travel itinerary. We're going raw and real, folks, straight into the heart of… well, a heart of the Shanghai concrete jungle, starting with the GreenTree Inn Shanghai Hongqiao Airport Huqingping Highway Shell Hotel (try saying that three times fast after a long flight). And yes, I'm already judging the name.

Pre-Trip Jitters (and a Touch of Disaster)

Okay, so the lead-up to this trip was a symphony of chaos. Remember that time I booked my flight? Apparently, "typo-ing" my passport number slightly matters. Then there was the existential dread of packing. Seriously, how does one pack for "Shanghai?" Is it all sequins? Are there dragons? (Okay, maybe not dragons, but still…). I swear, my suitcase might have PTSD from the sheer number of outfits it was forced to contain.

Day 1: Shanghai Shenanigans (Or, How I Learned to Love Instant Noodles)

  • Arrival: Okay, landing at Shanghai Hongqiao (SHA). The sheer scale of the airport almost made me weep. Weep! Like, full-on snotty-nosed sobbing. Everything’s so… organized. After the passport control, I found a taxi – easy peasy! And the drive to the GreenTree Inn? A blur of dazzling skyscraper lights. I think I squealed at some point.

  • Hotel Reconnaissance (aka The Great Room-Searching Debacle): Found the hotel! It's…well, it's a GreenTree Inn. Let’s just say the décor is “functional” and the phrase "soundproof walls" is a cruel joke. But hey, cleanish sheets are a win after a flight! And, bonus! They provide a complimentary bottle of water. Victory! I’ll hold onto it for dear life.

  • The Hunger Games: Finding Food: After a quick attempt at unpacking (again, the suitcase is judging me), I realised I'm RAVENOUS. This is where my meticulous planning falters spectacularly. Turns out, "nearby restaurants" translates to "mostly noodle shops" in the hotel's brochures. I’m not a fan of noodles. No, seriously. I’ve always been a soup person, but this is the noodle capital.

    • Detour to Deliciousness? (Spoiler alert: No): Tried venturing out into the surrounding areas, but honestly, the language barrier kicked my butt. I managed to point and grunt my way through ordering something, and ended up with a plate of…something. I ate it. I don’t know what was in it, but it was spicy. Maybe I should stick with instant noodles, sigh. I'm currently cuddling with a bowl of instant noodles, and they're my new best friend.
  • Evening: Jet lag and general bewilderment: Okay so, after a quick nap – which apparently lasted for three hours – then I got up and decided I should go for a walk (maybe look for a coffee shop, you know, something that will help me survive the days and get rid of the jet lag) and I get to a crossroads and got totally lost. The street signs look like hieroglyphs. I’m pretty sure I’ve just wandered into a parallel dimension. All I wanted was a Starbucks. I mean, come on… But then I came back because it was getting cold, and I realized that I forgot my phone. I’m not sure how I’m going to spend the next day here.

    • **Emotional Breakdown Corner: **Seriously. I miss my cat. And my good coffee. And my life. But hey, at least the noodles were edible.

Day 2: Shanghai Smorgasbord (And a Lesson in Misunderstandings)

  • Morning: The Breakfast Debacle: Ah, breakfast time. The GreenTree Inn's "complimentary breakfast"… Well, let's just say it left something to be desired. Think mystery meat and toast that tasted suspiciously like cardboard. I opted for another bowl of instant noodles (I swear, that stuff could save the world)

  • Exploring the City (or, Getting Hopelessly Lost Again): Today, I was determined to be a tourist. So, I decided to venture into the world and embrace the organized chaos. The first thing I did was find a nearby Metro station and hopped on a train to the city center (after almost missing my stop twice). The Metro, though busy, was incredibly efficient. I ended up at The Bund which was absolutely breath-taking! The view was amazing and I walked around and it was really peaceful.

  • Lunch Time: After taking so many photos in The Bund, all the walking around made me hungry again and I ran into a traditional restaurant that was offering "authentic" dumplings. The dumplings were good, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't being a tourist idiot, so I ordered some tea and tried to befriend the locals. I asked an old woman to repeat a sentence in mandarin and when I tried to pronounce it, she laughed. I tried again and she laughed again. This happened for about a minute before I gave up.

  • The "Lost in Translation" Incident: I attempted to buy a souvenir. I was certain I was communicating effectively. Turns out, I was probably asking the shopkeeper if she wanted to wrestle a yak. After much pointing, gesturing, and a few mortified glances, I think I walked away with a trinket. The story, honestly, is the real souvenir.

  • Evening: Reflecting on Reality (and the Tiny Hotel Room) Back in the hotel, I just sat and looked at the trinket (which it turns out, is a bobble-head panda.) I was laughing at myself, and realized that I think I’m gonna be okay. Sure, I’m terrible at speaking the language, sure I’m lost half the time, and sure, I will probably eat noodles everyday, but I am here in Shanghai, and I am living. Tomorrow, I'm facing the Pearl Tower.

    Day 3: Shanghai Spectacle and Departure

  • The Pearl Tower and the Verdict Today was the day I would go to the Pearl Tower. The wait was long, and the view was stunning. So, I got there and managed to buy a ticket, hopped in the elevator, and made it to the top. The view was… well, the view was breathtaking! The Shanghai skyline unfolded before me in all its glory. I walked on the glass platform, and my stomach did a little flip… but it was amazing. Totally worth it.

    • Emotional Reaction: Being up there was the single most amazing experience. I was humbled by the sheer scale and the beauty, but also, I really needed a bathroom.
  • Departure: The drive back to the airport was fast, and I tried my best to enjoy every last second.

Final Thoughts:

Look, Shanghai is… well, Shanghai. It's a sensory overload, a linguistic minefield, and a culinary adventure that's sometimes terrifying. But it's also vibrant, exciting, and truly unforgettable. Did I experience moments of sheer panic and linguistic ineptitude? Absolutely. Did I live on instant noodles? Yes. Did I find my inner explorer? Maybe. The verdict? Get ready for anything, embrace the awkwardness, and wear comfortable shoes. And maybe, just maybe, bring your own coffee.

Oh, and the hotel? Well, it served its purpose. It was a place to crash after a long day of getting lost and eating mystery food, and that's all that mattered. The GreenTree Inn wasn't fancy, it wasn't glamorous, but it was… mine. And in the end, that was enough. Now, I’m off to dream about dragons and dumplings. Shanghai, you crazy, beautiful mess, you've changed me.

Amelia Island Paradise: Unbelievable Surf & Sand Awaits at Ascend Hotel!

Book Now

GreenTree Inn Shanghai Hongqiao Airport Huqingping Highway Shell Hotel Shanghai China

GreenTree Inn Shanghai Hongqiao Airport Huqingping Highway Shell Hotel Shanghai ChinaOkay, buckle up buttercups, because we're about to dive headfirst into the swirling vortex of Shanghai Airport Escape: Luxurious GreenTree Inn Hongqiao Deal! FAQ-land. And, uh, fair warning: I'm not exactly known for my professional composure. This is gonna get messy.

Okay, so, the headline screams "Luxurious." Is this actually remotely luxurious or is it just… a GreenTree Inn? Be honest. Real honest.

Right, let's get this out of the way. "Luxurious"? Let's just say the marketing department was, shall we say, *creative*. It's a GreenTree Inn. It's clean. It's likely to have a bed. The sheets… well, let's just say your standards may *slightly* adjust after 24 hours of transit. Luxurious? More like… "functional." I once stayed in a hotel room in rural Mongolia (long story, involving a goat and a very strong brew of yak milk), and *that* was less luxurious. But, hey, considering you're probably stranded at Shanghai Airport, "functional" starts to sound like a five-star review. Perspective, people. It's all about perspective.

What kind of "deal" are we talking about? Are we getting robbed blind here?

Okay, deal, deal, deal. Depends. Most of the time if you're stranded at the airport, they're not exactly competing for the lowest price. These hotels are often closer to the airport, and they know you're a captive audience. My advice? Shop around. Seriously. Even if it's a last-minute booking, scour those travel apps. You might find a better deal, or at least a deal that doesn't feel like you're paying extra for the privilege of existing. I remember one time, I was so exhausted after a 20-hour flight, I just booked the first thing I saw. Bad idea. Ended up paying about three times what the room was actually worth. Live and... well, still learn.

How close is "close" to Hongqiao Airport? I'm thinking about the walk I'm going to make...

"Close" is a relative term in the chaotic beauty of Shanghai. They usually provide a shuttle. *Usually*. Double-check! Don't assume. I once got stuck for an hour at a bus stop at like 3 AM. Not fun. Check the shuttle schedule before you book. Call the hotel *directly* if you have to. It can save you a lot of headache. My experience? Sometimes it's a proper, air-conditioned mini-bus. Other times, it feels like you're riding in the back of a rusty old pick-up truck. The "close" often means a 10-20 minute car ride, which can feel like an eternity when you're running on fumes and the only thing keeping you awake is the desperate yearning for a proper shower.

What’s the vibe like? Is it a party hotel? A family spot? Quiet? Loud? Help. I just need to be a human for one night.

The vibe... well, it's *airport hotel* vibe. Expect a blend of exhausted travelers, stressed business people, and the occasional lost soul. It's rarely a party hotel. You won't likely have a raucous karaoke night, but there is a definite buzz of activity. It kind of depends on your timing, but it's not likely to be too loud. Generally, the focus is all on the weary traveler’s recovery. But remember, you are in China. There will be early risers who slam doors, so be warned if you're a light sleeper. I once saw a guy sprinting down the hall with a travel pillow screaming, "I HAVE TO CATCH MY FLIGHT!!" It was... something.

The all-important question: Is there food nearby? And more importantly, is it *good* food?

Food, the eternal question. Depends. There will be a restaurant in the hotel, likely. Usually, the quality is okay. Not gourmet, but edible. Sometimes, there are restaurants or shops *near* the hotel (walkable distance), but again, investigate. You might have to settle for convenience stores if your situation does not allow for a lengthy excursion. I've also seen those tiny little noodle shops that are like little portals to heavenly goodness. But the hotel restaurant is always the safest bet. Just manage your expectations. You're not there for the Michelin stars, you're there to eat before you fall asleep.

The rooms: What can I expect in terms of cleanliness, size, and amenities? Because I'm picturing a dystopian closet.

Okay, the rooms. They're usually… clean. Not hospital clean, but… clean enough. The size? Don't expect vast expanses of space. They are what they are: functional. They also vary. Some might be surprisingly large, but some are definitely compact. Amenities… well, you'll *probably* get a bed, a bathroom, a TV, and maybe a kettle. Toiletries? Maybe, maybe not; consider bringing your own. I once stayed in a hotel where the TV only showed one channel: Chinese opera. It was… an experience. So pack your own entertainment. Oh, and hope the air conditioning works. And pray the water pressure is decent. Tiny details, huge effect.

Wifi? Gotta have it. Is it reliable? And is it free? (Because, hello, budget traveler here!)

Wifi. The digital lifeline. Usually, there *is* wifi. Usually. Is it reliable? That's the million-dollar question. It might be fast, it might be slow, it might cut out at the most crucial moment (like, right when you’re about to video call your boss, because, yes, it's always when you're most vulnerable). Is it free? Generally, yes. Check the fine print though! Sometimes, you might have to pay extra. My advice? Download a VPN beforehand, just in case. Just in case. I spent *three hours* once trying to upload a photo to Instagram with no wifi. It was a dark day.

What if my flight gets delayed/cancelled? Can I change my booking? (Because that's a very likely scenario.)

Ah, the inevitable flight drama. Cancellation or delay? Check the hotel's cancellation policy *before* you book. Many hotels have flexible policies, especially for airport hotels, because they *know* the game. But some are strict, and you'll have to eat the cost. It’s also worth checking if the airline has any agreements with the hotels, sometimes they are obligated to pay. Communicate with the hotel *immediately* if your flight is in trouble. I once almost lost a whole day of vacation because I didn't check the hotel’s policy. Be a responsible traveler, read the small print!

Premium Stay Search

GreenTree Inn Shanghai Hongqiao Airport Huqingping Highway Shell Hotel Shanghai China

GreenTree Inn Shanghai Hongqiao Airport Huqingping Highway Shell Hotel Shanghai China

GreenTree Inn Shanghai Hongqiao Airport Huqingping Highway Shell Hotel Shanghai China

GreenTree Inn Shanghai Hongqiao Airport Huqingping Highway Shell Hotel Shanghai China