Seoul's STUNNING 18D Gangnam View: You HAVE to See This!
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because I just survived (and barely) a stay at Seoul's STUNNING 18D Gangnam View: You HAVE to See This! and I'm here to dish the dirt. And let me tell you, it's a lot of dirt, glitter, and maybe a few forgotten kimchis. Prepare yourself, because this isn't your average travel review. This is the raw, unadulterated truth, folks.
First Impressions (and a Panic Attack About Elevators)
So, "stunning"? Yeah, the view is pretty banging. Seriously, the 18th-floor panorama of Gangnam is worth the price of admission (which, let's be honest, is a bit steep). But getting to that view… that’s where things get interesting. The elevator situation is… intense. Long waits, packed like sardines, and the occasional nervous cough. (My COVID paranoia was real in the elevators – and yes, I’m happy they had sanitizer, hand sanitizer everywhere! Bless them.) They do have an elevator, so it works. But yeah, I walked up a couple of times after the third elevator miss.
Accessibility & That Whole "Stuff" Thing
Alright, let's get the important stuff out of the way first. Accessibility. "Facilities for disabled guests" are listed, and I spotted an easily-accessable elevator, which is good for those that require it. I didn't personally use those amenities, but they seemed present, at least. The "Check-in/out [express]" option is also a win for those trying to stay away from contact.
The Room: My Personal Oasis (and Laundry Disaster)
The room itself? Okay. The Wi-Fi [free]? Solid, especially since it was also Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! The Internet access – wireless, Internet access – LAN options were nice (it gave me options, man). I spent like, 48 hours in there, working (sigh), so the speed was very important. The Air conditioning blasted, thank God. Blackout curtains? Lifesavers, because jet lag. Non-smoking rooms are a must now. There's a closet, desk, some comfy chairs (I think I sat in them?). And bless them, bathrobes and slippers are always a win, even if you get a bit lost in them.
My first night, though? Disaster. I discovered the hard way that the laundry service is NOT next-door. I ended up with a dryer catastrophe and a mountain of slightly damp, smelly clothes. The Ironing facilities helped a bit, but the aroma of burnt silk… let's just say breakfast was awkward.
The Spa: Nirvana (or Just Really Expensive Relaxation?)
Okay, the Spa/sauna and related amenities? Pool with view? Sauna? Steamroom? Pool with view? I'm in! (I may or may not have spent three straight hours in the spa). The Body scrub and Body wrap looked tempting, but my bank account shuddered. The Massage? Yes, darling, YES. Worth every Won. I pretty much melted into a puddle of bliss. The Fitness center… well, I walked past it, but I’m sure it existed.
Dining: A Culinary Adventure (with Occasional Regrets)
The Asian cuisine in restaurant was a highlight. The Breakfast [buffet] was… extensive. It had everything, I swear. The Asian breakfast… let's just say my stomach wasn't entirely prepared for the kimchi-infused adventure every morning. The Coffee/tea in restaurant was my saving grace, and the Bottle of water left in the room every day? A lifesaver. The Poolside bar was great.
The Restaurants themselves were… well, a mixed bag. The Western cuisine in restaurant was a little bland, like they were trying too hard to be accessible. The Snack bar saved my life after a long spa session. Now, the Room service [24-hour]? That's where things got dicey. Ordering at 3 AM after a karaoke bar bender? Let's just say the burger wasn't my finest moment. (It was still good, though). I did like the Alternative meal arrangement because… well, kimchi.
Cleanliness & Safety: Did Someone Mention Germaphobia?
Okay, let's be serious. Cleanliness and safety are everything these days, right? They had Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, and the Staff trained in safety protocol – so good. And the Hand sanitizer was plentiful, always a plus. I did appreciate the Rooms sanitized between stays, and the Room sanitization opt-out available was a genius move!
The Little Things (And the Slightly Annoying Ones)
- Cash withdrawal and Currency exchange: Super convenient.
- Concierge: Helpful, but a bit… overly enthusiastic. He called me “Madam” approximately 700 times.
- Daily housekeeping: The room was immaculate. But also a little unsettling, like I was being watched.
- Elevator: I already mentioned this, didn’t I?
- Luggage storage: Used this. No complaints.
- Meeting/banquet facilities: Didn't need them, but they looked fancy.
- Smoking area: I am happy there was a designated spot.
- Terrace: Perfect for a quiet drink and some people-watching.
- CCTV in common areas: Good for safety, a little Big Brother-ish.
- Check-in/out [express]: Nice if you're in a rush. I wasn't. I loitered.
- Doorman: Always there with a smile… or maybe a grimace. Hard to tell.
- Front desk [24-hour]: Always someone there to rescue my dumb self.
The Offer That'll Make You Book (Even Though I Might Be Scaring You)
Look, I’m not going to lie. The 18D Gangnam View has its quirks. It’s not perfect. But it's memorable. And that view, folks, that view is worth everything!
Here’s my offer, which is probably better than what they usually do because let me act like a super helpful travel agent:
The "I Survived Gangnam" Package:
- Three nights in a Deluxe Room with that "Stunning" View (yes, the one you've seen a million times on Instagram – it's real, I promise!).
- Daily Breakfast Buffet, including that kimchi adventure (embrace it!). *
- One 60-minute massage at the award-winning Spa. Relax, you earned it. (And maybe cry a little because it is so relaxing.)
- Complimentary welcome drink at the Poolside Bar. Because you need that drink after navigating the elevators. (Or, maybe, for the elevator.)
- A "Get-Out-of-Jail-Free" Card for one disastrous laundry experience (you know, just in case…).
Book today with promo code "KIMCHI-CRAZY" and get 15% off! You know you want to. Just go. Even if it’s a little messy, a little weird, and a whole lot of Gangnam – it’s worth it. Seriously. Go. (And tell the concierge I said hi.)
Escape to Paradise: Luxurious Mango Inn B&B Awaits in Lake Worth!Okay, buckle up buttercups, because we're not just planning a trip to Gangnam and Location 18D, Seoul, South Korea, we're LIVING it. And trust me, it's gonna be about as polished as my ability to navigate a crowded Myeongdong market… which is to say, not very. Here's the glorious, messy, slightly panicked itinerary:
Arrival & Gangnam Glam (But Mostly Chaos):
Day 1: The Jet Lag Tango & K-Pop Dreams (Slightly Dented):
- Morning (6am - whenever I finally wake up): Land at Incheon International (ICN). Pray to the travel gods that my luggage actually made it this time. Last time, I spent 2 days wearing the same airport outfit. Seriously, the shame. Immigration? Hopefully, less of a soul-crushing experience than usual. Then, the AREX express train to Seoul Station. Feeling a little out of it? Let's grab some street toast on the way. (A true Seoul experience, right? Or just me?)
- Mid-morning (10am-ish - or whenever I find the blasted Gangnam hotel): Check into Gangnam Best View. Okay, the "Best View" part is probably overhyped. But hey, as long as it has a bed and isn't haunted, I'm happy. Drop the bags, change into something that doesn’t scream “I haven't slept in 24 hours," and then… Coffee. Desperately need coffee.
- Afternoon (1pm-ish): Explore Gangnam! First stop, COEX Aquarium. (I need some chill vibes after the airport insanity). Observe fish, contemplate the mysteries of the deep, and try not to spill my coffee on myself. Afterward, walk near COEX Mall. (Hoping to catch a glimpse of a K-pop idol – okay, maybe not, but a girl can dream!) Let's at least wander around the area and see what's up.
- Evening (7pm-ish): Authentic Korean BBQ. (Or, as I call it, "Meat Nirvana"). Expect to burn my mouth, struggle with the chopsticks, and probably end up smelling like grilled meat for the next week. Worth it. I'm going to try to be adventurous and order something besides the usual pork belly. Wish me luck. Might need some Soju after this.
- Night: Wander around the Gangnam streets. Take a taxi back to the hotel, and pass out.
Day 2: Beauty, Shopping, and the Crushing Realization That My Wallet Is Empty (but My Heart Is Full of Memories):
- Morning (10 am- ish): Visit a local skin care store. (So many cute product names! Maybe I'll actually try some of the products. (Never done a face mask before, might as well start now.)
- Afternoon (1pm-ish): Head to the Garosu-gil Road. It may be the most beautiful road in Seoul, but the price of everything is enough to make my wallet cry. (I hear it's very trendy and upmarket. I might need a quick shopping stop).
- Evening (7 pm-ish): The truth is, I had a full day planned for this, but on a whim, I re-booked the BBQ restaurant: A new restaurant. It has high reviews and I never say no to anything Korean related. (And no, I can't give the name, in case it's horrible. But I'm excited!)
- Night: Finally, go back to the hotel room and crash.
Heading to Location 18D: The Drama Begins (Maybe Literally):
Day 3: The Great Subway Adventure & The First Glimpse of "Location 18D" (Assuming I Can Find It):
- Morning (9am): Check out of the Gangnam hotel. Say goodbye to the potentially not-so-best view. Head to the subway. Prepare for the intense challenge of navigating the Seoul subway system. (Hopefully, I can read enough Korean to not get completely lost).
- Mid-morning/Afternoon (10am-ish - whenever I arrive): Arrive at the location, Location 18D. It's not a place I can find much information on. I'm not entirely sure what to expect. Check into whatever accommodation is available. (A hostel? A guesthouse? A dumpster? Okay, probably not a dumpster.)
- Afternoon: Explore the area around Location 18D. What will I find? Are there any hidden gems? Some quirky cafes? A cool temple? I have no idea. (This is the exciting part!) Maybe I'll meet some locals and they'll show me around.
- Evening: Find a local restaurant. Experience some local cuisine. Enjoy the change of scenery.
- Night: Sleep. I will be tired.
Day 4: Diving Deeper into Location 18D: The Unexpected & the Uncomfortable (Maybe):
- Morning: Whatever I find in Location 18D. See some sights.
- Afternoon: Depending on where I am… more sights.
- Evening: It's time to get into something different. (I'm not even going to bother planning past now. I need this to be an adventure. Be open to whatever comes to me.)
- Night: Reflect. (After, of course, collapsing into bed.)
Day 5: The Farewell Feast & Departure (And Maybe a Bit of Heartbreak?):
- Morning: One last Korean breakfast. (Maybe try something new).
- Afternoon: Head back to Incheon airport. Try to remember where I left my passport.
- Evening: Board the plane. (Wave goodbye to Seoul. Until next time!)
Notes & Disclaimers (aka, the Chaos Continues):
- Emergency Funds: Have them. You'll need them. For everything.
- Language: Learn a few basic Korean phrases. It'll help. (Plus, they're cute to say).
- Flexibility: This is more of a suggestion than a rigid plan. Embrace the unexpected. Get lost. Make mistakes. That's where the best memories are made.
- Food: Don't be afraid to try anything. (Except maybe that mystery meat at the market. Just… be careful).
- Transportation: Taxis are expensive. Learn the subway. (And maybe download a translation app.)
- Emotions: Be prepared for a rollercoaster. Jet lag, cultural differences, and the sheer exhaustion of travel can bring out all sorts of feelings. Embrace them. It's all part of the adventure.
- Last-Minute Changes: Let's face it, things will change. Maybe a restaurant is closed. Maybe I get completely lost and end up in a completely different part of the city. Maybe I meet a ridiculously handsome stranger who whisks me away on a whirlwind adventure. (Okay, maybe not that last one, but a girl can dream.)
So, there you have it. The most imperfect, honest, and likely slightly disastrous travel plan you'll ever see. Wish me luck. And if you see a frazzled tourist wandering around Seoul, looking utterly bewildered, that's probably me. Come say hi! I’ll probably need a friend.
Escape to Paradise: LunaStay's Cozy Double Room in Malaysia!Okay, spill the tea: Is the Gangnam View *really* worth the hype? I mean, 18 floors?!
Ugh, fine, you got me. YES. Absolutely YES. Look, I'm a jaded traveler, alright? Been there, seen that, yawn, yawn, blah blah blah. But this? This Gangnam view from the 18th floor... it hit DIFFERENT. You walk in, expecting the usual generic cityscape, right? Wrong. It's a dizzying, electric buzz of life. Skyscrapers clawing the sky, tiny little taxis weaving a frenzied ballet, neon signs screaming for your attention... it's sensory overload in the best way possible. Seriously, I stood there for, like, an hour just gawking. My jaw actually ached from smiling so much.
What's the vibe? Is it all fancy pants and designer bags? (Because, frankly, I'm more of a "comfy sneakers and ramen" kind of person.)
Okay, yeah, it's Gangnam. There's an undeniable *glamour* factor. But, and this is the important part, it doesn't feel... exclusive? Like, you don't need a trust fund to enjoy it. I saw everything from couples in full-on date outfits to… me, in my slightly-too-worn jeans and a questionable t-shirt. And you know what? No one batted an eyelid. It's a place to *observe*, to soak it all in. And honestly, the best viewing spots were actually the ones where the slightly-less-glamorous folks were, laughing and pointing and just… *being* present. Felt good, you know?
Is it good for photos? Because, you know, Instagram.
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! It's practically designed FOR Instagram! I took like a million photos. Seriously, it’s the kind of place where you can’t *not* take a good photo. Golden hour? Chef's kiss. Nighttime lights? Stunning! (Pro tip: Go during the golden hour, then stick around until the lights come on. Trust me on this.) But listen, try to put down the phone for a sec. Live in the moment, ya know? I almost missed seeing this amazing street vendor selling hot dogs! It was pure Korean street food bliss!
Food! Tell me about the food! Is there anything good *near* the Gangnam view?
Oh. My. God. The food. Okay, so, this is where the magic truly happens. Forget the fancy restaurants, though they're there if you're into that. I'm talking about the STREET FOOD! Tiny little stalls selling everything under the sun. I had tteokbokki that set my mouth on FIRE (in the best way possible), mandu that were so juicy I almost cried, and the most amazing sweet potato fries… I think I ate like three orders. Seriously, it’s worth the trip just for the food! Just wander around, trust your gut (and your taste buds!), and brace yourself for pure deliciousness. I actually got lost, and that's how I found the BEST chicken skewers I've ever tasted. I still dream about them.
Any tips for actually, you know, *getting* to the Gangnam View? I'm directionally challenged.
Okay, so navigation in Seoul can be… a *thing*. But don't panic! Google Maps is your friend. Seriously, download it, learn how to use it, and don't leave your phone on airplane mode like I did on my first attempt (rookie mistake). The subway is super efficient, but if you're feeling fancy, taxis are everywhere. Just make sure the driver actually understands where you want to go. I once ended up in a completely random suburb after a miscommunication. Learn a few basic Korean phrases – "Where is…?" and "Thank you" will get you a long way. But honestly, the hardest part? Resisting the urge to buy *everything* you see along the way.
Okay, let's be real: What's the *worst* part? Is there a downside?
Alright, honest moment: It's busy. *Really* busy. Expect crowds, especially during peak times. But honestly? It's part of the energy! It’s almost… exhilarating (once you accept it). The other downside? It makes you want to move to Seoul. Seriously, the post-Gangnam-View blues are REAL. You come back to your (probably) less exciting life, and you just… crave that energy, that vibrancy, that *everything*. The food, the lights, the people… it’s hard to shake. Prepare to have your travel bug re-ignited. And maybe start looking at flight prices now…
Should I go at night, or during the day? Or both?
BOTH! You MUST go both. Seriously. Daytime Gangnam is electric. You see all the details, the architecture, the tiny little shops. Nighttime Gangnam is pure magic. The city transforms into a shimmering, neon-drenched wonderland. If you only have one shot? Go for the evening. But if you can swing it, make it a full day. Start with a daytime exploration, fuel up on some delicious street food (hello, chicken skewers!), and then settle in for the sunset views. Your Instagram feed (and your soul) will thank you.
Any hidden gems *near* the observation deck?
Hmm, hidden gems… Well, I stumbled upon this tiny little park, just a few blocks away, with these gorgeous cherry blossom trees. (I went in Spring, FYI). It was a complete escape from the hustle and bustle. There’s also this cute little cafe, tucked away down a side street, that served the best iced coffee I’ve ever had. Honestly, the best thing to do is just GET LOST! Wander around, explore the side streets. Don’t be afraid to stray from the main tourist trails. You’ll find some true Korean gems. And if you see a vendor selling those amazing chicken skewers that I mentioned earlier... tell them Sarah sent you! (They probably won't know who I am, but hey, a girl can dream, right?)
Final verdict: Worth it?
ABSOLUTELY. GO. Seriously, what are you waiting for? Book your ticket, pack your bags, and prepare to be amazed. The Gangnam view isn’t just a view; it’s an *experience*. It's a jolt of energy, a feast for the senses, and a perfect reminder of why we travel: to feel alive. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go look at photos of chickenHotels In Asia Search