Penn State's BEST Kept Secret: The Penn Stater Hotel Review (You Won't Believe This!)

The Penn Stater Hotel and Conference Center State College (PA) United States

The Penn Stater Hotel and Conference Center State College (PA) United States

Penn State's BEST Kept Secret: The Penn Stater Hotel Review (You Won't Believe This!)

Penn State's BEST Kept Secret: The Penn Stater Hotel Review (You Won't Believe This!) - A Totally Honest Confession from a Tired Traveler (and Penn State Alumni!)

Alright, folks, let's be real. You're looking for a hotel near Penn State. You're tired, probably a little stressed from the drive (or flight, if you're fancy), and just want a comfy bed and maybe, maybe, a decent cup of coffee. Well, buckle up, because I'm about to spill the beans on the Penn Stater Hotel & Conference Center. And trust me, after years of visiting as a student, a weary alumnus, and a parent of a prospective student (talk about stress!), I've seen it all. This isn't your polished corporate review. This is real.

SEO Keyword Blitz (Gotta appease the Google Gods!): Penn State Hotel, Penn Stater, State College Hotels, Conference Center, Accessible Hotel, Free Wi-Fi, Pool with a View, Spa, Restaurants, Family Friendly Hotels, Penn State University

First, the Big Picture (and the Occasional Rambling… because, well, life).

The Penn Stater isn't just a hotel; it's an institution. It's where you'll find alumni reliving glory days, families scoping out the campus, and business folks attending conferences. It's… well, it's big. And that, my friends, can be a blessing and a curse.

Walking into the lobby, you're hit with a sense of… well, space. Lots of it. The sheer scale of the place can be a little overwhelming at first. But thankfully, they've got plenty of comfortable seating areas (important, because, trust me, you'll need to sit after navigating the parking situation – more on that later). Expect a bustling atmosphere, but it's a good kind of bustling. Like, "everyone's excited about something" kind of bustling.

My Most Memorable Moment… (Spoiler: Parking was a Nightmare!)

Okay, so I’ve gotta be honest, the first time I stayed at the Penn Stater… the parking was a disaster. I arrived late, tired, and already grumpy from a delayed flight. Finding a spot felt like a real-life treasure hunt. I circled the car park (car park [on-site], car park [free of charge]) probably five times before I found a tiny, grudgingly available spot. It soured my mood from the get-go. Pro tip: Arrive early, breathe deeply, and be prepared to walk a bit. Or, if you’re feeling particularly savvy, take advantage of the valet parking. (Valet parking). Later, I learned there are even car power charging stations. Okay, now it feels like the future.

The Good Stuff: Accessibility, Amenities, and… Coffee!

Let's get down to brass tacks. The Penn Stater actually excels in a lot of areas.

  • Accessibility (Accessibility, Wheelchair accessible): The hotel makes a commendable effort. I'm talking ramps, elevators, accessible rooms (Facilities for disabled guests, accessible). The hallways are wide and well-lit. It's clear they've put thought into making the experience as inclusive as possible.
  • Wi-Fi (Free Wi-Fi in all rooms!, Internet, Internet [LAN], Internet services, Wi-Fi in public areas): YES! Free Wi-Fi throughout! I need that. And it actually works (mostly). I’ve had fewer technical issues with their Wi-Fi than in a LOT of other hotels. Plus, they have Internet [LAN] for you old school people.
  • Dining & Drinking (Dining, drinking, and snacking, Restaurants, Bar, Coffee shop): Okay, this is where things get interesting. They have several restaurants (Restaurants) ranging from casual to slightly more upscale. The coffee shop (Coffee shop) is a lifesaver in the mornings (I'm a coffee addict, okay?). The bar (Bar) is a great place to unwind after a grueling day of… well, whatever you're there for. The Asian restaurant (Asian cuisine in restaurant, Asian breakfast) is a nice change of pace. I had their noodles once and… Wow. Seriously.
  • Relaxation Zone (Pool with view, Sauna, Spa, Spa/sauna, Steamroom, Swimming pool, Swimming pool [outdoor]): Okay, listen. I love a good pool. And The Penn Stater has a great one! It's indoors, so year-round swims! And the view… well, it's pretty good. Plus, they have a sauna (Sauna), a spa (Spa), gym/fitness (Gym/fitness), and even a steam room (Steamroom)! Talk about pampering! (Body scrub, Body wrap… maybe I'll try those next time).
  • Cleanliness and Safety (Cleanliness and safety, Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, Hand sanitizer, Hygiene certification, Individually-wrapped food options, Sanitized kitchen and tableware items, Staff trained in safety protocol): During my last visit, the hotel seemed to be on high alert for cleanliness. Hand sanitizer was everywhere. They're clearly taking things seriously.
  • Rooms: (Available in all rooms, Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathroom phone, Bathtub, Blackout curtains, Carpeting, Closet, Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea, Daily housekeeping, Desk, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, High floor, In-room safe box, Internet access – LAN, Internet access – wireless, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, Linens, Mini bar, Mirror, Non-smoking, On-demand movies, Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator, Safety/security feature, Satellite/cable channels, Scale, Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub, Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector, Socket near the bed, Sofa, Soundproofing, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Umbrella, Visual alarm, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], Window that opens): The rooms are… comfortable. Not mind-blowing, but comfortable and well-equipped. You've got all the basics. My room had a view (window that opens), clean sheets, and a decent bed. The blackout curtains (blackout curtains) are a lifesaver.
  • Family Friendly (Family/child friendly, Kids facilities, Kids meal, Babysitting service): The Penn Stater is definitely family-friendly (Family/child friendly). They offer babysitting services (Babysitting service) and kids' meals (Kids meal).

Okay, Let's Be Uncomfortable and Be Honest:

Look, it's not all roses. Here are the things I'm not crazy about:

  • The size. As mentioned, it can feel overwhelming. Navigating the corridors to your room can feel like a marathon.
  • The "Conference Center" aspect. Sometimes, it can feel like you're sharing the hotel with a battalion of business people.
  • Breakfast (Breakfast [buffet], Breakfast service): The buffet is…okay. Nothing to write home about. But hey, it's food, and you need it. I personally prefer the coffee shop and grabbing something there.
  • Room Service? (Room service [24-hour]): While they offer 24-hour room service, the menu is pretty basic. Don't expect gourmet dining delivered to your door.
  • Couple's room (Couple's room): I wish they had more of them.

Overall Verdict (and a Plea for a Better Breakfast…)

The Penn Stater is a solid choice. It's clean, comfortable, and offers a lot of amenities. It's particularly great for families and those attending events at Penn State. The accessibility is a huge plus. Yes, the parking can be a pain. Maybe I'm being overly critical, but a better breakfast experience would really elevate my visit. (I'm lookin' at you, Penn Stater management… a truly stellar breakfast could make this a 5-star review!)

Would I stay there again? Absolutely. Especially if there's a big game, a conference, or I just need a reliable place to crash near campus. It's a known quantity – a safe bet.

The Offer You Can't Refuse (Because You Deserve a Break):

Tired of searching for the perfect hotel near Penn State? Stop stressing! Book your stay at The Penn Stater Hotel & Conference Center today.

Here's why:

  • Guaranteed Comfort: Clean, comfortable rooms with all the essentials – and free Wi-Fi!
  • Convenience Central: On-site restaurants, a pool (with a view!), and a spa to melt your stress away.
  • Stress-Free Access: Plenty of parking, easy check-in/out, and a concierge to help with anything you need.
  • Stay Safe: With enhanced cleaning protocols and staff trained in safety protocols, you can rest assured your well-being is a top priority.
  • Because You're Worth It: Treat yourself to a well-deserved break. Don't let the stress of travel ruin your trip --book your stay now!

**Click here to book your stay at The Penn Stater and experience the BEST

Fort Knox Getaway: Unbeatable Econo Lodge Radcliff Deals!

Book Now

The Penn Stater Hotel and Conference Center State College (PA) United States

The Penn Stater Hotel and Conference Center State College (PA) United States

Okay, buckle up buttercups, because this ain't your grandma's meticulously planned travel itinerary. This is… well, this is me, wrestling my way through a stay at The Penn Stater Hotel and Conference Center in State College, PA. And let me tell you, it's gonna be a ride. God, I need a coffee. And maybe a stiff drink. (Don't judge. Travel is exhausting.)

The Penn Stater: My Love-Hate Affair (and Probably a Few Tears)

Day 1: Arrival and Existential Dread

  • 1:00 PM: Arrive at the Penn Stater. Okay, let's be honest, the curb appeal is… imposing. It’s a giant brick… thing. Like a polite, but slightly intimidating, giant brick thing. And the parking lot? Endless. Found a spot near a rogue maple tree, which made me feel like I'd won the lottery. Little victories, people! Especially after a five-hour drive crammed in a Honda Civic with the bladder of someone who's still five.

  • 1:30 PM: Check-in. The lobby is… clean. Sterile. Conference-y. I swear, I could feel the spreadsheets judging me. The front desk person, bless her heart, was trying to be cheerful. Said something about "making my experience memorable." Sister, if memorable means "stuck in the elevator for an hour," then, you got it!

  • 2:00 PM: The Room (aka, My Temporary Prison). Okay, it's a room. It has a bed. And a TV. And a view… of another brick building. Sigh. This is where I'll be residing. I immediately checked for bed bugs. Because, you know, gotta be sure.

  • 2:30 PM: Forced Relaxation. Decided to try and chill out. Poured myself a tiny glass of water, cracked open a book I’d been meaning to read and then stared out of the window for a solid 20 minutes not reading. The sound of air conditioning was a constant hum. The thought of the conference I have to attend is now beginning to haunt me.

  • 3:00 PM: The "Free" Coffee in the Lobby: Okay, "free" is a strong word. It was brown, lukewarm, and tasted vaguely of despair. But, hey, it was caffeine. And it was necessary. I managed to spill half of it down my shirt in an attempt to not make eye contact with every other person.

  • 4:00 PM: Venture into the Unknown (aka, the Hotel Bar). Okay, a little liquid courage. I needed it. Found myself sitting amidst a sea of conference attendees in ill-fitting suits. Ordered a beer. And then another. And maybe a small bowl of peanuts. The TV was showing golf. I hate golf. But I was surrounded by people I thought I could have a conversation with. Success?

  • 5:00 PM: Dinner at the Hotel Restaurant. They call it "The Gardens." It's… fine. The salad was mostly iceberg lettuce. The chicken was… chicken. The service was efficient, but not exactly warm. Found myself wanting to tell the chef to just put something interesting ON the plate.

  • 9:00 PM: Room Service Debacle. Decided to order a brownie. Because self-pity is best served with chocolate. They delivered the brownie. It was cold. But I ate it anyway. All of it. Shameful.

  • 10:00 PM: Attempted Sleep. Failed miserably. Hotels are just… different. The bed was okay. But the air conditioner was on a mission to eradicate all humidity from the planet. Tossed and turned and thought about all the things.

Day 2: Conference Hell and Comfort Foods

  • 7:00 AM: Wake Up. Feeling like someone ran me over with a bus. That coffee did nothing.
  • 8:00 AM: Conference Session #1. The keynote speaker was… long-winded. Focused on things that did not apply to me. I doodled pictures of cats in my notebook.
  • 9:30 AM: Coffee Break. More brown, lukewarm despair in a paper cup. Made a bee line for the pastries, looking sad in the corner, when a friendly face recognized me and engaged in small talk.
  • 10:00 AM -12:00 PM Conference Sessions. Same as before but more sleep loss.
  • 12:00 PM Lunch. I attempted to try a salad, but it had the same lettuce as before and was now feeling worse than a bad relationship. Now feeling tired and looking at the schedule wishing for the end.
  • 1:00 PM -5:00 PM Conference Sessions. Same as before.
  • 5:00 PM Free time. Attempted to relax, but was now feeling the pressure of the trip, all I wanted to do was go home.
  • 6:00 PM Dinner again, this time with a friend, which made things better. Ordered a burger and fries. Good, simple food. Comfort food is essential.
  • 8:00 PM: Exploring. Walked around the hotel. Found a surprisingly decent vending machine. Purchased a bag of chips. Ate them in my room while watching mindless TV. Feeling slightly better.
  • 10:00 PM: Attempted Sleep. Still failed. Maybe I'm just not a hotel person.

Day 3: Escape! (And a Slight Redemption)

  • 7:00 AM: Woke up. The pressure in my head was relentless.
  • 8:00 AM: Conference Session #3. Survived.
  • 9:00 AM: Packing. Was ready to leave. I needed to go, the conference was over, and I just wanted to feel normal.
  • 10:00 AM: Check out. Freedom!
  • 10:30 AM: Goodbye Penn Stater. Back to home. Back to normal. Back to my slightly less depressing routine.
  • 11:00 AM Driving. Started driving.
  • 2:00 PM: Arrived back. The comfort of my own home, my own bed.
    • Realization: Maybe the Penn Stater wasn't the worst place in the world. Okay, it was a bit industrial, but it served its purpose. And the brownie, despite its shortcomings, provided a moment of solace.
    • Final Verdict: The Penn Stater is a place. A place you go to do things. It isn't home. And that's okay. It doesn't have to be. Just… next time, I'm bringing earplugs and a REALLY good book.

And That's It!

See? Messy. Unstructured. Peppered with opinions and emotional outbursts. Just like life, really. Maybe next time I'll actually get around to using the pool. Or maybe not. The allure of the couch is strong.

Red Deer's BEST Kept Secret: Quality Inn & Conference Centre!

Book Now

The Penn Stater Hotel and Conference Center State College (PA) United States

The Penn Stater Hotel and Conference Center State College (PA) United States

The Penn Stater Hotel: Unfiltered Truths & Maybe Some Regrets (A Review of Reviews!)

(Okay, maybe not *regrets*… mostly just… *thoughts*.)

1. Is The Penn Stater actually a "best kept secret?" Because, honestly, it sounds like everyone knows about it...

Hah! The "secret" part is a bit of a stretch, isn't it? It's more like a well-advertised whisper. I mean, if you've ever been to a Penn State event, a conference, a graduation (god, the graduation crowds...), or even just *dared* to Google "hotels near Penn State," the Penn Stater's name pops up faster than a tailgater with a case of beer. But, I get it. It *feels* secret because it's not the flashy, Instagram-worthy hotel. It's... solid. Reliable. Like a good pair of khakis. And sometimes, that's exactly what you need, especially after a long drive and a day full of meetings.

2. Okay, okay, so... the rooms. What's the *vibe* inside? Clean? Modern? Or… grandma's spare bedroom?

Alright, the rooms are... functional. Let's be honest. They're not going to win any design awards. Think "comfortably beige." Clean? Generally, yes. I mean, I've never found a rogue sock under the bed, which is always a plus. (Unless, of course, *I* left it there… which is possible.) Modern? Debatable. They’ve updated things over the years – I think I remember seeing a newer TV once, but I was also slightly jet-lagged so it might have been a fever dream. The furniture… it’s sturdy. Like, you could probably stage a small-scale wrestling match on the beds. And the lighting? Well, it’s… there. Not particularly atmospheric. Think more “task lighting” than “mood lighting.” Basically, you're there *to sleep.* And it works. Mostly.

Side note: I had this one room *once*. It had *this*… weird… almost colonial… desk. And I swear, it creaked with every single keystroke. Drove me absolutely insane. But, hey, it made me walk around more, which, you know, probably helped with my posture. Silver linings, people! Silver linings!

3. The Food! What's the deal? I'm starving just thinking about it. Buffet or Bust?

Oh, the food. The food is… a journey. The buffet is… legendary, I believe is the term. It’s certainly *there*. It can be a glorious carb-laden explosion of breakfast goodness (hello, omelet station!), or a somewhat… *meh*… experience later in the day. It really depends on the crowd, the event going on, and possibly the alignment of the planets. Sometimes it’s truly outstanding; sometimes you're left wondering where all the good stuff went and why everything tastes vaguely of… well, *everything* on the buffet.

Pro tip: If the buffet is looking a little sad, sometimes the à la carte options in the restaurant are a better bet. And, let's be real, the bar food is always a safe haven. (Don’t judge me!) Oh, and the coffee? *Always* grab a refill. You'll need it after all those meetings.

4. Can you actually *relax* at the Penn Stater? Is there anywhere to escape the conference chaos?

Ah, the elusive concept of "relaxation." It's *possible* at the Penn Stater, but you might need to work for it. The pool and fitness center are okay. Don't expect a luxurious spa experience, but they're decent for a quick swim or a treadmill session to burn off some of that buffet damage. The outdoor spaces are… well, they exist. They can be pleasant, especially in the fall. But really, the best escape is just… your room. Close the door, order some room service (pizza, ALWAYS pizza), and pretend the outside world doesn't exist. It’s not the Four Seasons, but it can work. I swear, I once saw a flock of geese get *way* too close to the entrance. You know, the things you see when you just need some peace.

Also! Don't underestimate the power of a good book or a streaming service. Your sanity will thank you.

5. What about the staff? Are they friendly? Helpful? Do they judge my pajama pants?

The staff is generally pretty great. They're Penn Staters, so they embrace the community vibe. They’re definitely friendly and helpful, and honestly, they've seen it all. Probably. They might not *love* your pajama pants, but let's be real, who does? Just be nice, tip well, and you'll be golden. I had this one experience where I was completely lost trying to find a meeting room (seriously, the place is a maze!). This one woman in a blazer just… walked me there. With a smile. Saved my bacon, she did. So, yes, the staff is a win.

Remember, small acts of kindness go a long way. (And yes, I’m totally projecting because I once had to ask for directions *every single day* for a week straight. Embarrassing.)

6. Let's be brutally honest. What's the *worst* thing about the Penn Stater?

Okay, fine. The *worst* thing? The sheer size of the place. Oh my god, the walking! Be prepared to log some serious steps. You'll be doing laps around the building just to get from your room to the meeting room, to the restaurant, back to your room, then to the… you get the idea. It’s like an Olympic sport. Especially if you're wearing heels. Or trying to navigate with a coffee in one hand and your phone in the other. You will get lost. Accept it. Embrace the inevitable. Also, sometimes the lighting can be a bit… sterile. It’s not particularly charming. But again, that leads to the *walking* thing. Plus, parking can be a *nightmare* during big events.

7. Okay, overall, would you recommend it? Give it to me straight.

Yes. Absolutely. For what it is. It's a solid, reliable hotel. It’s not going to blow your mind, but it will provide you with a clean(ish) room, a place to eat, and a location that's convenient for a myriad of Penn State-related activities. It’s your basecamp for whatever adventures in State College you’re embarking upon. Go in with realistic expectations. Embrace the slightly dated decor. Find Your Perfect Stay

The Penn Stater Hotel and Conference Center State College (PA) United States

The Penn Stater Hotel and Conference Center State College (PA) United States

The Penn Stater Hotel and Conference Center State College (PA) United States

The Penn Stater Hotel and Conference Center State College (PA) United States