Golden Escape: Unforgettable Luxury at The Golden Hotel (Colorado)
Golden Escape: Unforgettable Luxury at The Golden Hotel (Colorado) - Yeah, Let's Talk About It. (And Why You Should Book NOW)
Okay, so you're looking at The Golden Hotel in Colorado? Smart move. Let's cut the fluff and get real. I just got back, and honestly, my brain is still trying to process all the… stuff… that happened. This isn’t your sterile, bullet-pointed travel review. This is me, rambling a bit, feeling all the feels, and giving you the god's-honest truth about whether or not this place is worth your hard-earned money. And spoiler alert: it mostly is.
First Impressions (and the Drive There… Oh, the Drive…)
The Golden Hotel is, well, golden. Literally. At least, that's how it felt after the drive up. Colorado… beautiful, yeah, but those mountain roads? Let's just say my stomach did more loop-de-loops than a rollercoaster. And, as a bonus, it's accessible. This is HUGE, people. Wheelchair accessible everything! Hallways, lobby, even some of the rooms are designed with accessibility in mind. Huge win. The elevator is reliable (thank god!), and they have dedicated facilities for disabled guests. This makes a massive difference. Accessibility is not just a nice-to-have; it's a NEED-TO-HAVE for so many of us.
Check-In: Smooth Sailing (Mostly!)
Contactless check-in/out is a godsend these days. Quick, efficient, and you don't have to feel awkward fumbling with your credit card. The front desk [24-hour] is always staffed, which is reassuring. There’s also a doorman, which made me feel incredibly fancy, even in my travel-worn jeans. And, bonus points, there’s a safe deposit box in EVERY room! I even spied the existence of a doctor/nurse on call, and a first-aid kit, which is super comforting for a naturally clumsy person like myself. No complaints there.
The Rooms: My Cozy Sanctuary (Well, Almost)
Okay, the rooms. Let's dive in. I went for a non-smoking room (duh). Immediately, the air conditioning kicked in and a wave of blessed coolness washed over me. Heaven! The bed. The bed was an extra-long bed, perfect for sprawling. And the black-out curtains? Chef's kiss. I actually got some sleep!
My room had everything: a desk, a seating area, a mirror (for, you know, self-admiration), a refrigerator, a coffee/tea maker (a necessity!), and more. The complimentary tea, free bottled water, and slippers were all lovely touches. The bathroom was clean and functional, with a separate shower/bathtub, which is a luxury I didn't realize I needed until I had it. The toiletries? Actually decent quality, not the generic hotel-grade stuff. I’m also a sucker for a good hair dryer. They had one. Score!
Minor Grumbles & Honest Truths:
- My room wasn't spotless. I saw a tiny speck of dust on the carpet (the horror, I know!). Realistically, this happens everywhere, but I had to mention it. (I’m a high maintenance traveler.)
- Internet access – LAN…I have to admit I did not use it. I’m all about the Wi-Fi [free], which worked perfectly in my room. Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! Amazing!
- While the bathrobes were there…I forgot to use it – I'm a bathrobe rebel.
- I wasn’t lucky enough to secure an interconnecting room.
- The soundproofing was good, but not perfect. I did hear a bit of hallway chatter at night.
- I didn't see any additional toilet, so…be sure to secure a room with one.
- My room did not have a visual alarm, which is really something that should really be implemented more widely.
Dining, Drinking, & Snacking: A Culinary Adventure (Or Two)
The variety here is pretty impressive. Let’s start with the basics: breakfast [buffet]. Standard fare, but hey, it gets the job done. There’s also breakfast in room, a great way to feel pampered. More importantly, they had a coffee shop onsite, and the coffee was actually drinkable – a huge win!. The poolside bar was delightful (more on that later). They have a bar where I had a fantastic cocktail (or two). They even have a vegetarian restaurant if that's your jam.
There's an a la carte in restaurant, multiple restaurants, a snack bar, and room service [24-hour]. Really, you can’t go hungry here.
- My Favorite Bites: Okay, so I wandered into the Asian cuisine in restaurant. Holy moly. The spring rolls. Just… wow. Best I’ve had in ages. Just order them. And even I enjoyed the desserts in restaurant.
- The Oddity: I went to the happy hour. The drinks were fine, but everyone seemed weirdly serious. It was like a work Zoom meeting, dressed in a suit.
- The Convenience: Let's be real… I had a total moment of weakness and ordered food delivery. They had a convenience store too.
Things to Do (And Why You Might Not Leave the Hotel… Ever.)
Alright, this is where The Golden Hotel really shines. The swimming pool [outdoor] is gorgeous. The pool with view is breathtaking. I spent a good chunk of my time just lounging by the pool. But I didn’t just lounge. Oh no. I went for a swim and I’ll be honest, I felt like a movie star.
- The Spa: I indulged in a spa day. The massage was heavenly. I'm still trying to figure out how to get one of those professional people to live in my house and give me a massage every day. There was a sauna, a steamroom, a foot bath – all the things! The Body scrub was intense, but great. The Body wrap left me feeling like a pampered, slightly sun-kissed goddess. The Spa/sauna combination? Pure bliss.
- The Fitness Center: I, sadly, did not use the gym/fitness center. I had every intention, but the pool won. Every. Single. Time.
- Other Amenities: The place has a terrace, a shrine (yes, really!), and even a proposal spot.
- For the Kids: Families are welcome! There are kids facilities and a babysitting service, which is crucial if you need a break from the small humans. They even offer kids meals.
Cleanliness and Safety: Pandemic Era Considerations
Let's get down to brass tacks. Cleanliness and safety are paramount these days, and The Golden Hotel seems to take it seriously. They use anti-viral cleaning products, obviously. Daily disinfection in common areas. Rooms sanitized between stays. Professional-grade sanitizing services. Staff trained in safety protocol. Hand sanitizer stations everywhere. Cashless payment service. Safe dining setup. They've got the right idea. They even have room sanitization opt-out available and individually-wrapped food options.
Services and Conveniences: Making Life Easier (Or Maybe Giving You Too Many Options!)
The list here is long. Air conditioning in public area. Daily housekeeping. Dry cleaning. Laundry service. Concierge (available 24/7). Luggage storage. Meeting/banquet facilities. Car park [free of charge] and car park [on-site]. Honestly, it's overwhelming in a good way. They offer pretty much anything you could possibly need.
Getting Around: Easy Peasy (Especially if You Get a Ride)
The car park [free of charge] is a huge perk. They offer airport transfer and taxi service if you prefer. And if you are into it, there is bicycle parking.
Business Travelers
I'm not a business traveler, but the hotel definitely caters to them. Business facilities, meetings, and meeting/banquet facilities, are all available. They also have audio-visual equipment for special events, a projector/LED display, and a Xerox/fax in business center.
Stuff I Didn't Get To…But Noticed!
- I noticed there were fire extinguishers everywhere and smoke alarms and that felt very appropriate.
- The security [24-hour] and CCTV in common areas made me feel safe and secure.
- There's a gift/souvenir shop… which I'm sure would've tempted me.
Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because this isn't your grandma's perfectly-formatted travel itinerary. This is a messy, honest, and wildly opinionated account of my time at the Golden Hotel, Ascend Hotel Collection in Golden, Colorado. Let's be real, planning? I'm winging it.
"The Golden Hotel: Where My Sanity May Have Gone to Die… or Not?" - A Totally Unofficial Itinerary
Day 1: Arrival and Existential Dread (aka "Just Got Here!")
14:00 - Arrival and Check-In Debacle: Okay, so, I arrived at The Golden Hotel. Or, as I affectionately started calling it, "The Golden Hole." First impressions? Let's just say the lobby had a distinct "slightly-too-bright fluorescent lighting" vibe. I swear, the receptionist, bless her heart, looked like she’d seen a ghost of a particularly grumpy mule. Check-in was a process. Turns out, my reservation, which I'd triple-checked, was…somewhere in the ether. After 20 minutes of frantic keyboard clicking and the existential dread of realizing you might be sleeping in your car, they found it. Success! Sort of. They upgraded me, which was nice, but I swear the room key was judging me.
- Quirky Observation: The elevators. Oh, the elevators. They had this weird, jerky motion, like they were constantly surprised to be going up. And the music? Elevator jazz. Always elevator jazz. I spent the entire ride contemplating the meaning of life.
15:00 - Room Reconnaissance and The Bed of Questionable Comfort: My upgraded room! It was…fine. Clean-ish. The view of the parking lot was inspiring, in a "remind yourself you're paying good money to be here" kind of way. Now, more importantly, The Bed: It looked inviting at first glance, but upon closer inspection, I realized it was a battleground of pillows of all shapes and sizes, none of which seemed particularly supportive. Now, that was just me, I needed a comfortable bed after a long journey, so it wasn't a total fail, but this would be a recurring theme of the trip.
- Emotional Reaction: Panic. Mild panic. Is this the best I could do with my life choices? Am I destined to spend eternity in a mildly-adequate hotel room?
16:00 - Exploring Golden (Maybe): Okay, so Golden. Honestly? I was exhausted. The drive had been long, the check-in a comedy of errors. Decided I'd try to be adventurous and maybe visit the Coors Brewery. I mean, I was in Colorado. And I love beer! After some aimless wandering (it felt wrong to start walking the minute I got here) the town looked nice, but the thought of a guided tour involving lots of walking and standing- No. Not today.
- Opinionated Language: The brewery might be great, but I needed a nap. And maybe a large pizza. Priorities, people!
19:00 - Dinner at the Hotel Restaurant (Regret): I was starving. Exhausted. And the hotel restaurant was convenient. Big mistake. The food was… well, let's just say it wasn't Michelin-star quality. I ordered a burger, and it tasted like a particularly sad sock. The waiter was nice though, bless him, and the beer (thankfully, they had beer) was cold.
- Stronger Emotional Reaction: Utter disappointment. A vast emptiness where deliciousness should have been. And I have the mental thought, "I should have skipped this place and gotten a pizza"
20:30 - Bedtime Blues and Contemplations: I was in bed by 8:30, because, you know, adulthood is all about early bedtimes. The pillows were still a problem. Tossed and turned, wondering if I should have brought my own pillow. The elevator music was now echoing in my head. "Is this it?" I whispered to the ceiling.
Day 2: The Mountain (And Maybe Getting My Act Together? Kinda…)
07:00 - Breakfast, The Unpleasant Kind: Breakfast at the hotel. I was hopeful. Maybe things would get better. They didn't. The coffee tasted like burnt tires, and the "continental breakfast" was a wasteland of sad pastries.
- Messier Structure: Okay, skip it, I only ate a bit of fruit, maybe it would be better elsewhere?
08:00 - Planning (Sort of): I decided I would try to make some plans, as it seems the only way out is through. I decided on a drive in the mountains.
09:00 - Mountain Adventure! (Attempted): I drove. The scenery was stunning, like, genuinely breathtaking. The mountains are majestic, and I was in awe. But the roads were windy. And the car seemed to be struggling a bit with the altitude. And I started to have some serious doubts about my driving abilities. (I am not a mountain driver, it seems)
- Emotional Reaction: Glorious awe, followed by mild panic, followed by sheer, unadulterated terror.
12:00 - Lunch, The Redeeming Kind: I found a nice little cafe. Lunch was simple, but delicious, and I got to enjoy the view. Was happy. A little bird flew past, and looked me in the eye (I might be exaggerating a bit).
17:00 - Back to the Golden Hole: I was tired again. Back to the hotel. My day was done. The mountains are tiring.
18:00 - Another Hotel Restaurant Run: I am tired. I go for the food again. It is still ok, not great, but bearable.
20:00 - Netflix and a Quiet Night: Bed. The Pillows are still not great.
Day 3: Departure (Freedom!?)
07:00 - Goodbye Breakfast: The coffee. The pastries. My soul, slowly crumbling.
08:00 - Check-Out Drama (Probably): Praying for a smooth departure. Praying.
09:00 - Departure: Freedom!
Post-Trip Ramblings:
The Golden Hotel: Was it perfect? Absolutely not. Did I survive? Yes. Would I stay again? Okay, maybe, if I really had to.
Golden, Colorado: Absolutely beautiful. Go. Just maybe plan your own food. And bring a good pillow.
Final Thoughts: Travel isn't always Instagram-worthy. It's messy, it's imperfect, and sometimes, the best part is the story you get to tell afterward. And let's be honest, this story will probably be funnier in a few years.
Okay, so Golden Escape – is it actually *golden*? Like, is it worth my hard-earned cash?
Alright, let's be real. "Golden" is definitely a *marketing* word. But... YES. Mostly, yes. Look, I'm a cynical New Yorker, okay? It takes a lot to impress me. But the views? The *views* from the rooms facing the mountains? Unbelievable. I mean, you wake up, and it's like, "Did I just teleport to a postcard?" The first time I saw it, I actually gasped. I almost choked on my coffee. Like a total tourist, I pulled out my phone immediately and started Insta-storying it. Don't judge. It's *that* good. The price tag? Kinda stings. But, for a special occasion? Worth it. For a random Tuesday? Maybe not unless you really need a massive dose of Colorado sunshine.
What about the rooms? Are they actually luxurious, or just…fancy?
Okay, so the rooms... They *try* really hard. I stayed in a “Deluxe Mountain View Suite” (fancy name, right?). It *was* nice. Big, comfy bed. Fireplace. (Who doesn’t love a fireplace? It’s like, instant cozy vibes.) The bathroom? HUGE. Like, seriously, could have held a small dance party. I confess, I actually put on some music and did some impromptu bathroom-karaoke. My singing voice is... a work in progress. But! There were some, shall we say, "minor imperfections." The lighting was a bit…dim. I felt like I needed a flashlight to find my toothbrush in the evening. And, I swear, I think I saw a tiny crack in the wall by the window. But honestly? I'm being nitpicky. Overall, very pleasant. I’d stay there again, no question. Although, maybe bring a stronger reading lamp.
That spa everyone raves about. Is it as amazing as people say? Spill the tea!
Oh, the spa. *Dramatic sigh*. Okay, here’s the thing. I’m a spa snob. I confess it. I've been to spas where they serve you actual gold-infused water, so the bar is HIGH. Did the spa at The Golden Hotel live up? Almost! The atmosphere is undeniably zen. Soft lighting, calming music, the whole shebang. I got the "Mile High Massage," which sounded impressive. And…it was pretty darn good! The therapist was amazing, really worked out the knots in my shoulders from carrying around my laptop all day. The only downside? The waiting area could have been a tad more… luxurious? It felt a bit more like a doctor's office than a haven of tranquility. But listen, the massage itself? Pure bliss. I almost fell asleep and snored. And I’m not ashamed. Okay, maybe a little. But still, the massage was glorious.
What about the food? Restaurants sound fancy, but are they good?
Okay, the food situation. This is where things get…complicated. The hotel has several restaurants, all with names that sound like they should be in a James Bond movie. I tried the "The Table Mountain Restaurant." Good view. The food...meh. It wasn’t bad, just…underwhelming. I ordered the salmon, which was cooked…perfectly fine. But there was nothing *memorable* about it. It felt like something I could have whipped up myself at home. And the prices?! Ouch. Seriously. My wallet whimpered a little. I swear, a side of asparagus cost more than my student loan payment. The service? Perfectly polite, but a bit…stiff. My waiter kept calling me "ma'am." I felt old. Then I went to the bar for a cocktail, and it was amazing! The bartender was fantastic and made the best Old Fashioned I've ever had. I spent a whole hour chatting with him. I even bought a couple of beers and brought them up to my room.
Is there anything to *do* besides, you know, be luxurious? Activities, etc.?
Golden itself is fantastic! The hotel offers all the usual suspects: a not-as-exciting-as-it-should-be pool, a pretty good gym (I skipped that, I’m on vacation!), and some excursions. But the real fun is outside the hotel. Hiking trails galore! You’re right at the base of the mountains. I'm not a huge nature person, but even *I* was impressed. I ended up doing a short hike and I got a little bit lost. Not gonna lie. It was a bit terrifying. I thought a bear might come and eat me or something. But ultimately, I found my way back because I'm nothing if not persistent (and slightly directionally challenged.) Then there's the town of Golden itself – charming, with cute shops and restaurants. It was great! I spent an afternoon browsing art galleries and buying a weird handmade candle that smells like pine needles (don't judge, I liked it!). Plus, the hotel is close to Denver, so you can easily hop over there for a day of city exploring. Overall, ample opportunities to do more than just luxuriate – which is a good thing, because after a while, luxuriousness starts to feel a little…boring. (Yeah, I said it.).
Tell me more about your personal experience. Any stand-out moments? Anything you'd recommend to a friend?
Okay, here's a story. This is where my trip went from "nice" to "memorable." See, I was having a total meltdown on the first day. I was traveling alone, feeling a bit lonely and jetlagged. Everything felt...wrong. I was in my room, feeling sorry for myself, and just generally being a grumpy gus. That’s when there was a knock on my door. The front desk person was a young man named Kevin. He came bearing gifts. A small flower arrangement, a fruit platter, and a note that said, "Welcome to Golden, we hope you enjoy your stay." I'm not usually one for sentimental gestures, but it really hit me. I was so touched. I almost cried. Kevin didn't know I was having a rough time, but his simple act of kindness made all the difference. I told him my woes and we started laughing at our shared awkwardness. I made a friend! I spent the rest of the evening in the hotel bar, sipping on cocktails (the bartender was now my friend, too) and regaling anyone who would listen with tales of my disastrous attempt at solo hiking. That moment? That's what I'll remember. That's the *golden* part. So, yes, I do recommend it. Even if you're feeling a bit lost, a little luxury and a friendly face can turn a trip around. That was worth the price of admission for me. So yeah, if you go, ask for Kevin. He’ll make your stay special. And also, the Old Fashioneds. Definitely get the Old Fashioneds.